Terex Utilities is innovating again with the introduction of a new aerial lift bucket truck. We’re doubly excited – not only is it our latest aerial, but also integrates our award winning Terex® HyPower™ system. Designed to be fuel efficient, clean, and quiet, we are hoping that this beautiful white and green machine keeps a low profile as it travels from Watertown, SD to Williamsburg, VA. Don’t slow it down on its journey as it needs to be unveiled at the EUFMC show next week.
Come and visit us at EUFMC 2011 on June 19-22 to learn about this exciting new machine and see how it operates.
The HyPower™ system is still fairly new and many people want to know what it’s all about. We’ve collected much of the data and scaled it down into a nice brochure that you can easily download.
The brochure talks about how the HyPower™ system helps you save fuel, reduce emissions, and eliminate jobsite noise. It states how exactly the system sets itself apart from others and why it’s ideal for the utility industry. It also provides a couple different stats that you may be interested in. The purpose of the brochure is meant to answer many of your questions about our hybrid system. To download the brochure, please click here!
- Fuel Savings - The HyPower™ system can save up to 1.2 gallons of fuel per hour of work. This adds up to thousands of gallons over its lifetime.
- Reduced Noise – Traditional Utility Trucks are very noisy while they’re working. Since the HyPower™ system reduces or eliminates the need for the vehicle to idle on the jobsite it greatly reduces noise. This is good for the Utility Workers and for anyone living nearby.
- Decreased Maintenance – Since the vehicle’s engine doesn’t have to operate to power job site work it runs up to 65% less. This reduced operating time means that repairs and maintenance of the engine decrease greatly.
- Increased In Service Time – By reducing the fuel used by the vehicle our system reduces the number of times the vehicle has to be refueled. How much more time would a crew have if they refueled 400 fewer times.
- Retrofits – The HyPower™ system was designed to be simple and reliable. Because it doesn’t interfere with the drive train it’s easily retrofitted on most chassis and for almost all Terex Utility models.
- No Limitations – Most other Hybrids force you to compromise on the chassis, drivetrain, working space, towing capacity or operating time. HyPower™ system has none of these limits allowing you to work as you always have.
Earth Day Special!
The United States has picked this day (4/22/2011) to celebrate our earth and remind us to be mindful of our environment. It’s easy to celebrate Earth Day by doing something eco-friendly for one day. However, Terex tries to make sure we’re getting more earth conscious every single day.
We have proven to be a leader in producing green products for the utility industry. Whether it’s our award winning Terex® HyPower™ hybrid system or our other products ranging from light towers to bucket lifts or aerial devices, we are trying to make a difference by decreasing our carbon footprint on this planet.
Interesting Terex Earth Day Stats:
• Compared to a conventional chassis, the HyPower™ system can save up to 1.2 gallons of fuel per hour. That can add up to a savings of 1,500 gallons of fuel per year. This means that if we sold 1,000 related HyPower™ system products this year, there would be somewhere around 1,500,000 gallons of fuel saved. This would account for a large reduction in CO2 emissions of approximately 13,370 metric tons of CO2/year! Feel free to check out our Emissions Calculator to enter in your own numbers and see how you can help our planet: http://www.terexhypower.com/customers/
• Although noise has nothing to do with CO2 emissions, it still can be another source of pollution. This is why Terex is working on eliminating jobsite noise as well! Watch this video of the Terex® HyPower™ hybrid system at work. The difference between a traditional chassis and our green chassis is amazing! http://www.youtube.com/user/TerexHyPower
• Compared to the Metal Halide Light towers, the new Terex® LED Light towers (AL5L and AL4L) are battery-powered, so they run silently. These units can plug into a standard 110v outlet for recharging and will run for 10 hrs on a single charge.
Two products have just been added to the Terex hybrid lineup to provide additional customer solutions. In addition to the HyPower™ hybrid system, Terex is pleased to introduce the new AL™4L and AL™5L LED plug-in rechargeable light towers and distribution of Odyne plug-in hybrid propulsion systems for medium and heavy duty trucks.
The LED plug-in rechargeable light towers provide enhanced environmental benefits running silent with no fuel required and no emissions. They provide up to 10-hrs of run time with instant on / off operation and no heat up or cool down delays. The AL™5L model is setup to charge 3 additional AL™4L for remote jobsites applications.
Odyne’s plug-in hybrid systems are a turnkey solution for companies that utilize vehicles with driving cycles featuring a high percentage of starting and stopping, along with extended periods of jobsite idle time. Odyne’s unique modular system can be installed on a wide variety of new and existing vehicles, reducing fuel consumption, lowering emissions and operating quietly at the jobsite.
These products, in addition to the award winning Terex® HyPower™ hybrid system, provide Terex customers with multiple green solutions to help reduce fuel consumption and emissions.
Seven years!!! The culmination of a seven year odyssey has resulted in the award of a US Patent being awarded to Terex Utilities’ Jon Promersberger and John Pantzke for the Terex® HyPower™ hybrid system.
Born as an idea during one of the first meetings of the Westart/CalStart”s Hybrid Truck Users Forum, Promersberger worked to bring it to life over the next several years. March 20, 2008 marked the start of the formal process as he filed the patent application for the “hybrid drive for hydraulic power”. This concept was designed to provide electrical power to drive a hydraulic pump which would allow for a “greener” way to run hydraulics…especially the way hydraulics are used in the field by electric utility companies.
After waiting three more years following the filing, Promersberger and Pantzke were finally issued their patent on March 8, 2011. This will pave the way for a greener future for our customers, our shareholders and our team members!
Who has a complete line of Hybrid Utilities trucks? Who has an easily retrofit-able product? Who allows you to choose your chassis, transmission and power source? There is only one answer. Terex.
Why should we care? The Forum exists to speed the commercialization of medium- and heavy-duty hybrid and high-efficiency technologies.
The Terex® HyPower™ team played a key part at the 10th annual HTUF National Conference held in Dearborn, MI this year. The event saw record attendance with hundreds of vendors, fleet professionals and technologists in attendance. We brought two of our crowd favorite Terex® HyPower™ Plug In Electric Hybrids for Electric Utilities.
Our Hypower Hybrids lifted more than 30 journalists, customers and spectators high into the Michigan sky without starting the engines of our trucks. The constant feedback we received from the crowd was that our system was Practical, Effective and most important Cost Effective.
The Terex Team was recognized as the thought leader for our work site based Hybrid. We had the opportunity to provide information on our system to all the attendees in two separate forums. Nick Camissa and Dan Brendan did a fantastic job in these presentations.
Thanks to CALSTART and the HTUF for hosting such a great event. http://bit.ly/c2YP5c
The Terex® HyPower™ team was lucky enough to attend the Canadian Utilities Equipment & Engineering Show (CUEE) show in Toronto. CUEE is Canada’s largest marketplace for products and services related to the utility sector.
The Team brought a pair of our Terex HyPower PHEV’s for demonstration and display to the event. The systems where a big hit with all of the users (look for more HyPower video on You Tube soon).
The HyPower systems best in class hybrid operating time, near silent operation and original tailshelf mounted battery compartment were specifically noted. Users appreciated the careful design of the system which focuses on maximum working time and minimum interference with the working spaces of the crew.
Thanks to the fantastic crew who worked this show especially Chris Cruickshank, Robert Badin, Rick Von Bommel and Jacques Cloutier with Wajax Industries. We appreciate you.